Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mark's gonna be free

Meet Mark.


Mark may very well be the sweetest man I've ever met. (He's also the most photogenic.) 
Every time I see him, he greets me with a huge smile, a big hug, and a kiss on the cheek. 
I notice when he's not around. It brings me joy each time I see him. I look forward to talking with him.

Last month, Mark gave me a hug, not unusual, but this hug changed everything. He smelled so strongly of alcohol that I held my breath, then I did something that I don't normally do. 
I told him.
"Mark, you reek of alcohol."
"I always smell like alcohol." He said.
"I know, but I keep hoping someday I'll hug you & you won't anymore."
"You can't just accept me how I am?" He said, getting angry.
"Mark, I love you. I love you just the way you are, and if you never change, I'll never love you any less. I love you, and that means I have to push you to do better." 
He wasn't hearing me completely, then finally it clicked. If I love him, I want what's best for him, and this life clearly isn't.
"You're an amazing woman." He said, and he leaned down and kissed my forehead as he turned and walked away, waving goodbye over his shoulder.
Later that week, I was talking with Sean who works at the church that provides food for the Nomsa community dinners I'm involved with each week. Sean told me that he and his wife have been praying for Mark and telling him the same kinds of things I have.
What's especially important about what they've been telling him is that he can be free from his addiction to alcohol. 

Mark and I have had several very similar conversations in the last few weeks. I love him. I can only love him because Jesus loved me, I could never have done it before. 

Last week, Sean gave his testimony to all the folks who stuck around for worship & Bible study, because our normal 'preacher' couldn't make it. Sean told of his own struggles and how Jesus set him free.
Sean talked about a program at his church called "Celebrate Recovery" and said he'd make sure anyone and everyone that wanted to go would get a ride, so that they too can overcome their addictions, hurts, and embrace freedom. 

After Sean was done speaking, I walked over to Mark and patted his round belly,
"So, Mark, are you gonna go with Sean to Celebrate Recovery?" I said, only joking, but hopeful.
"That's what I'm waiting to talk to Sean about right now." He said.
My eyes filled with tears, I jumped up and down, letting out a little scream and I stood on my tip-toes to hug his neck, his beard scratching my face. 
I asked him if I could wait with him so we could tell Sean, and I went to get Sean's wife so we could all be together. 

A small victory. (Or so I thought.)

Tomorrow, Mark checks into rehab. 
(Rehab is not part of the Celebrate Recovery process. CR is like Christian AA). 
It's a tough, long road he's beginning to walk, but he's committing to the hard road, and that's more than I'd expected and the beginning of what I'd hoped for. 


(Me & Mark tonight, this is his "Before" picture).


He's hardworking. He's passionate. He's giving. He's kind. 

He's addicted. He's captive. He's broken.

& ...

He's going to be free.