Saturday, February 21, 2009

"It's not official until it's on Facebook"...


The aftermath of the right way to do engagement rings conversation (& post) is still with me.  
The same friend who challenged my thinking about diamonds & engagement rings as an entire tradition is challenging me to reconsider the public posting of relationships and engagements.  
Where the norm says, "It's not official until it's on facebook," he says it doesn't need to be on facebook at all.  

I heard him out, and as a woman who wants any man of mine to be proud I'm his, I was enraged at this idea.  

I thought about how excited I got when my newsfeed told me that John & Jennifer have decided to tie the knot.  I anxiously look at every engagement photo they post, and it just fills my little heart with joy.  

As I was putting away clean laundry and reflecting on the conversation I had with my friend about publicity of relationships, I thought about friends preparing for marriage & that my only knowledge of that must be facebook, because my busyness keeps me from being involved in their daily lives. 

There's something to be said for the way it makes a girl feel to have an entire room of people, an entire online community, or an entire world to know that he's proud to have her by his side.  

That said, I hear and understand his point of view, I get it - it's not everyone's business - especially people who aren't involved in his daily life.  

However, I can also close my eyes and imagine the smile on a girl's face when he's proud to call her his woman to any and everyone who'll see it.  

No comments: