Friday, February 20, 2009

Remarkable as a Way of Life.

Yesterday, I found myself overwhelmed & exhausted, thinking about all that needs to be done, and all that I've yet to do.  
I realized that I haven't read a book in months, and this made my heart hurt.  
I have, however, been reading some amazing blogs by some brilliant minds like SethSasha, and others; as well as having amazing conversations with still other brilliant minds like John, Nikki & Matt.  All of which inspire and challenge me to pursue truth and be remarkable.  

What does it mean to be remarkable, anyway?

As long as I can remember, I've imagined an engagement ring like this.  
But, I have this brilliant friend that challenges me toward truth on a daily basis.  He tries his best to be remarkable and challenges those around him to do the same.  
See, he believes that we're challenged to this whole new way of life, this alternate world; this way of life that he pursues, and invites others to pursue with him.  

This way of life that changes the way everything gets done; everything from supporting fair trade to building community that creates sustainable change.

Looking at the world with everyone's best interest at heart, how can I buy products that I know are made by children in sweat shops?  How can I support (or ask a future spouse to support) an industry that has seen so much bloodshed to mine diamonds?  

Don't I value humanity more than that?  
Don't I preach, teach, and attempt to live out this alternate kingdom?  
Don't I believe that love is an action?

So what of my dream diamond ring when that day comes?  
There are, of course, "conflict free" diamonds.  But what of the symbol we've been sold?  What of "A Diamond is Forever", "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" and various other marketing strategies that have shaped the way America does engagements?  

Is that remarkable?

It's great to know that 74 governments have chosen to support the Kimberley Process, ensuring conflcit free diamonds, but how many lives were lost and how much blood was shed before that came about?  

Is it best to say, I'll still support that symbol, buying a different kind of diamond?  Or do you choose a different gem, a sapphire or ruby, maybe?  Or maybe a family heirloom wedding set?  
I don't know what the answer is. 
If the question is 2+2=x, I know that 2+2 does not equal 3.  That's as far as I've gotten.  

The other night, I sat in a room full of marketers, innovators, entreprenuers, and other amazing young minds.  We discussed making an impact, doing business well, and what sells.  

Our conclusions: Passion is important, relationships are vital, and focusing outward - on what's best for everyone - is the most remarkable way for things to be done.  

No comments: