Friday, February 29, 2008

Peter

I want to tell you some stories. Stories of people who have changed my life.
Who have taught me who Jesus is, and what faith and joy truly are. 
Like all of us, I think their stories must be told. 

Peter lives on the streets of Orlando. 
I met him a little over a month ago. He was ready to end his life. Drugs had their hold over everything he was. My comrades and I, who do Thursday night food "sharing", met him. We heard his story, his pain, his need. 

We went with him to the hospital and he entered for the 72 hours required before he can start rehab. After the 72 hours it didn't look like he would be able to do anything else through the hospital. I was really discouraged, I thought that's it, we only put it off for 3 days... But nonetheless, I prayed hard and hoped for the best.

Last night, Peter came down to Lake Eola and he shared his story. He looks great. He's gained 15 pounds and has made some money, and has not spent any of it on drugs. He shared with the group that he hasn't had the urge to go back to drugs. Only by the grace of God, through our love & prayers. 
He said that he was sharing his story, of God's grace in his life with his friends. 

What do you do with that besides cry tears of joy?

One month ago he was ready to take his life. Now he's embracing it with joy and hope. 

Jesus = life. everywhere. truth. everywhere.

No comments: