Monday, February 16, 2009

Playing with fire...

Quite a while back, I spent some time with a wonderful young girl who told me of her struggles.  She reminds me of me at her age... except stronger, more honest, and pursuing Jesus. 
Anyway, what really reminds me of me at any age, is that she wants to play with fire.  She enjoys playing with fire... Hoping and striving for a day when she can so successfully play with fire that she doesn't get burned.  
Her fire is a blade across her wrist; she wants to stare her biggest struggle in the face, have blade to her wrist and not cut herself.  
It sounds ridiculous, but have I not done the same thing?  Don't we all do the same thing to a certain extent?... How much can I get away with? How far can I push this? 
And that's why it keeps happening.  
When faced with battling addiction, one cannot expect to hold a needle to their arm and choose not to indulge, one must choose not to indulge in a thought process that leads to seeing or holding the needle. 
  
No matter the struggle, the key is community. 

Community = health, balance, and honesty. 

No comments: