Thursday, April 24, 2008

3/4 cup...

Saturday night, I went with a bunch of amazing girls to downtown Orlando to go dancing and just have a girls' night. 

As one of my beautiful friends and I were walking to meet the rest of the group, we passed by a man on the street corner who had a microphone and was shouting about Jesus. 

I got a shiver down my spine. As he shouted condemnation to the people walking past him, his words began to burn inside me. 

I could not believe that he and I were representing the same Jesus. 

My friend and I walked past, introduced ourselves and kept going, but once we got to the club, she needed to go back to the car... Hmmm.

Well it was like this little alarm that was going off inside me, this button being pushed and I couldn't just pass it by. 

I said, 'I'm sorry love, but I must go and talk to them,' and I sped towards microphone-man and his tract-bearing friend.

I asked him if I could ask some questions, and he said hold on, finished his spiel and then I asked him why. Why was he out here shouting at people that they were headed for hell? Why was he screaming at all? 

Microphone-man and tract-bearing man were really angry at first, but then they stopped and listened to me that I love and respect them and appreciate their passion for serving God but that I think they're just going about it the wrong way.

We ended up sharing Scriptures with them. These two middle-aged men stopped their shouting and listened, (with some serious effort,) to what we had to say. 

I prayed for them, and we left. 

I don't know what was more exciting... The way that I stepped back and realized that I wasn't talking, the way that these men listened, the fact that I was able to confront them... or the excitement of my friend. She and I walked on, prayed for them some more, and talked about what it means to serve Jesus. 

She is new to this walking with Jesus thing, and she has already grown so much, and has developed such a heart for serving and ministry... And she was so excited to see the scary but exciting moment of boldness that Jesus gave me. 

I wonder who I am sometimes. This person who would be so confrontational with these men? I would have never had the confidence or boldness to go up and confront them about their actions...

This person who's so quick to pray for people, whenever, wherever. 
I never wanted to pray out loud... what if my prayers are silly or I say the wrong thing, people will think I'm not a good Christian or something... But my prayers aren't about anyone but Him.

I am constantly amazed at the transformation that's taken place in my life. I remember being so terrified of the people in church who would lift their hands in worship, thinking, 'I would NEVER do that.' And now... Hahaha. Yeah.

He is SO good. He is SO awemazing. 
He will change your life. He will call you out of your comfort zone, and introduce you to Life abundantly. He will embarrass you, humble you, grow you, Love you.

No comments: